Monday, March 19, 2012

1st Peter 4:1-11

1 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. 2 As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4 They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you. 5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.
7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. 8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

I thought this was a great passage just because of recent events in my life. This past weekend I attended a men’s equipping conference and it was powerful. The last speaker really charged us with a mission using the passage Matthew 5:14, "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.” I bring that passage up because it was a teaching of Christ. Peter reaffirms it in this passage. “1 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. 2 As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.” We need to shine the light of our faith since we are living for the will of God. This isn’t something I could easily brush off. This is something that has been burning inside of me for a while. It started off as a match, something easily put out. Now, that fire, that light, has gained traction and momentum and it is burning hot brothers and sisters. Hot enough to melt gold. I have committed this day 3/19/12 to a pledge 6 months of sobriety of no alcohol of any kind. I know the bible only condemns drunkenness but I feel as Paul said in 1st Corinthians 13:11, “When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.” I do this for myself and to put to action the very gift of influence God has placed within me. I need to truly start living my life for God. I have suffered as well and failed to minister in my times of weakness, when my testimony could be its strongest. I attribute that last statement to my Pastor Brendan Saunders. In verse 10 Peter starts, 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. I need to start rebuilding and reinforcing the walls of my faith. It is time to move pass the problem of superficiality. I need to be a sellout for God. "God doesn't want improve lives or change lives He wants you to exchange your life for His." Clive Calver Please join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment